Working with large amounts of text in Unreal 4

Started by
2 comments, last by Strawhatsheik 2 years, 9 months ago

Hi All!

I am working on making a text based type game in Unreal Engine 4. I know it's a bit of a powerhouse for this type of game, but I was curious to see if I could. I use C++ and was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts on the best way to load the text? I have it so the text will be displayed in a widget, and obviously I could make arrays to hold the information, but Unreal has built in tables, and I have seen some programmers make a similar game with imported CSV files and a data table.

Has anyone worked with Unreal's tables before and have a preference/recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

None

Advertisement

In UE4, DataTables are the way to go. Easy to use with CSV files. There is, however, a quirk that always frustrates me when I import. UE4 adds an extra lead number column IIRC. Once I get around that, it's smooth sailing.

As you said, UE4 is overkill for text based games. There is a 2D version (Paper, I think?).

Also, you may want to check out the Dialog/Quest plugins that are available on the marketplace. I'm sure you could modify them to your purpose.

And there is Blackboard, which is generally used for AI decision trees. Should work for you as well.

@StarjumpDev Thank you! I am familiar with blackboard for AI, but had never thought of it's use in this situation. Also, thanks for the warning on the extra column. So far I have just displayed text by having it keyed manually into the C++ blueprints, but that is just for testing. Going forward I need a better way and I think Data Tables ae it.

Thanks again!

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement