πŸŽ‰ Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! πŸŽ‰

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need ideas for interesting, unique movement/ combat mechanic for a game

Started by
9 comments, last by Geri 1Β year ago

I want to try and implement a unique movement/ combat system to my game, something different from usual WASD movement.

Advertisement

You can't seriously expect anybody to give you helpful ideas if you don't tell us anything whatsoever about your game (other than it's to be played on a computer with a keyboard, and there is some sort of movement, and there is some sort of combat). So…? And what is your problem with WASD? If you're just trying to be unique but you don't have any ideas how to be unique, then you can't expect other people to do all your creativity for you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@undefined sorry

Everything jumps up and down!

@Alberth haha sounds cool!

aushijo said:

@undefined sorry

So are you going to share any info, what kind/genre of game you're making, and why WASD is not an option?

I asked my good friend and here is his answer:

If you want to implement a unique movement and combat system in your game, here are a few ideas to consider:

1. Parkour Movement: Design a system where players can perform parkour-inspired movements such as wall running, climbing, and acrobatic flips. This would add a dynamic and visually appealing element to your game's movement mechanics.
  2. Grappling Hooks: Introduce a grappling hook mechanic that allows players to traverse the environment by swinging from hooks or attaching to specific surfaces. This can create a sense of verticality and freedom in movement.
  3. Teleportation or Blinking: Implement a teleportation or blinking ability that enables players to instantly move short distances or teleport to specific locations. This can add a strategic element to combat and exploration.
  4. Shape-Shifting or Transformations: Incorporate a mechanic that allows players to transform into different forms or shapes, each with unique movement capabilities. For example, the ability to transform into a bird for flying or a small creature for sneaking through tight spaces.
  5. Time Manipulation: Introduce a time manipulation mechanic where players can slow down, freeze, or rewind time temporarily. This can create interesting combat scenarios and allow players to navigate complex environments.
  6. Elemental Movement: Design movement abilities tied to different elements such as fire, water, or earth. For instance, water-based movement could involve swimming, creating ice platforms, or surfing on waves.
  7. Puppeteer Mechanics: Create a system where players can control other characters or objects in the game world temporarily. This could be used for strategic positioning, solving puzzles, or executing unique combat maneuvers.
  8. Musical or Dance-based Movement: Implement a movement system that responds to rhythm, where players need to perform specific dance moves or musical gestures to navigate the environment. This can add a creative and interactive element to movement mechanics.

Remember to consider the overall gameplay balance and how these mechanics fit into the game's theme and objectives. Experiment with different combinations or even create entirely new mechanics to make your movement and combat system truly unique and enjoyable for players.

πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚<←The tone posse, ready for action.

fleabay said:
I asked my good friend

Your good friend chatgpt? :D

What angle does the player look at the character from? First person, third person, isometric, platformer? Can you please include a screenshot of the game?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement